January 18, 2011

understanding

today is my 2nd last day at the personal care home
for those of you who read this, but don't yet know
i have resigned my position there

i am finally realizing (and naming) where i am right now in life
deep in grief
overstressed
working through depression
running at a pace too fast for me to keep up with
tired
unhealthy
dry

so, resigning from my job there was hard. but i believe it was necessary
a step toward healing

so i only have a few more days there with them
the residents, the seniors, the friends that i love so much

last night my job was to bring all the residents (that wanted to come) to the activity room to listen to the salvation army (sidenote: 21 residents came. the salvation army did not. so.. there i was, with my volunteer. leading a sing-a-long for an hour. with a few random solos by my volunteer. i'm going to miss moments like that)
i knocked on the door of one of the shared rooms, a husband & wife and they graciously invited me in
the room was dark, and they were both laying on their beds. i sat in the nearest chair & asked them how they were

"low"

i asked her if she wanted to tell me more. and she said:

"i just realized that my parents have both passed away. they passed away and i wasn't there. why wasn't i there?" she then went on to tell me that she was on the phone with her daughter and she had asked her if her parents were living. her daughter told her that they were not. and she told her the dates that they had passed away. this dear lady just lay on her bed, hands over her face, weeping. her husband said to me "she was there. but her mind, her illness... it makes her forget"

deaths that happened years ago, many many years ago, that were as fresh as if they had just happened.
so we sat there.
in the dark, together, weeping.
for grief that was old but so fresh.
and i just whispered to her,
"i understand, i so understand"

our grief is so different. but also the same. old, but fresh.
there is something so comforting about being with another person that can whisper "i understand" - no solutions, no fix it ideas, just understanding.

i am going to miss sharing life with these dear dear people.

3 comments:

Emily said...

i love you Ashley.

em.

Leah said...

beautiful post ash

Joy said...

I understand.... I so understand.
I love you. thanks for putting down the words...
We walk the journey together - all of us...
I love you more than 555555555555
mom