January 20, 2011

a thursday afternoon of singing

i have had a nice afternoon
my mom brought lunch to my work, so we enjoyed that together
then i came home & caught up on my beth moore biblestudy (it's so easy to get behind.. my goal is to keep on it daily!)
and then felt like picking up my guitar again
i have played it very little since my grandma died
it became something very special to me, something that I could do for her even in the depth of her illness
a connection that she & i shared
a way i could bless her into heaven
she didn't care that i didn't know all of the chords
or only knew a couple strumming patterns
she didn't care when my guitar went out of tune
or i stopped singing while i wept
she would close her eyes & smile at the mention of heaven
God's faithfulness
flying away
glory bound...

so today i picked up my guitar
and thought of her as I saw my pile of "songs grandma likes" sitting in the case
and i sang & played until my fingers hurt.
i have decided to share 2 videos, 2 songs that are dear to me
maybe the words will resonate with where you are at
or maybe hearing my own voice sing them will give you other insight into where i'm at honestly
i hope no one thinks i'm doing this out of pride or for compliments (if that was the case i should've tuned my guitar completely.. and probably do some vocal warm ups... oops!)

just sharing my heart & my voice
glory bound:
this is me singing "Glory Bound" by the Wallin' Jennys.
The last time I sang this was at my Grandmas funeral, and I have really been missing her, so decided to sing it again.

I still remember singing it for her in the hospital. She thought it was beautiful. I think she could already hear the train...
lord how excellent:
this is me singing "Lord How Excellent" by Jon Buller
words that fit where I am at with life right now

5 comments:

Adrienne said...

i love to hear you sing. it feels like home. thanks.

sarah blackwell said...

so so beautiful ashley...the second song especially brought tears to my eyes! I haven't heard that song in so long. And your singing is so lovely! I'm sure I will be returning to this page to listen many more times...thanks so much for posting :)

Anonymous said...

this is lovely!

Krista said...

Hey Ashley, This is Krista (your choir buddy from CMU!). I've kept up with your blog over the years, and your post a few days ago about 'small acts' plus this post with you singing has really encouraged me to leave you a note on here and let you know that I think about you and pray for you often.
Hearing you sing reminds me of standing beside you in the CMU Singers all those years ago. :) Thanks for being real on your blog, it's always a refreshing read. If you want to contact me, I'd love to hear from you! krista.marie36@gmail.com

Hope you're having a great day!

MomT said...

These are beautiful songs, Ashley. The tears have been running down my cheeks. Love you lots and lots.