July 7, 2009

an excerpt

as mack made his way down the trail toward the lake, he suddenly realized that something was missing. his constant companion, the great sadness, was gone. it was as if it had been washed away in the mists of the waterfall as he emerged from behind its curtain.
its absence felt odd, perhaps even uncomfortable. for the past years it had defined for him what was normal, but now unexpectedly it had vanished. 'normal is a myth', he thought to himself.
the great sadness would not be part of his identity any longer. he knew now that missy wouldn't care if he refused to put it on. in fact, she wouldn't want him to huddle in that shroud and would likely grieve for him if he did. he wondered who he would be now that he was letting all that go - to walk into each day withou the guilt and despair that had sucked the colors of life out of everything.
---
ask me my thoughts on this if you'd like to know. this was taken from "the shack"

5 comments:

Kara said...

I love that book. What a beautiful picture of the freedom that accompanies the presence of Jesus in our lives!

Joy K. said...

Funny how often you and I are thinking alike. For the past little while, I have been referring to what I am feeling (still) as "the great sadness" - and it seemed to fit after I finally finished reading the shack.
Somehow lately, I have been feel this even more -
I love you baby - thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.
love mom

Joy K. said...

And, almost forgot - I want to know your thoughts about this ...
xoxo more

Anonymous said...

I would like to know.
Love you.
Ellen

Janessa said...

that is a very excellent part of that book.