July 7, 2011

a legacy of confidence

i've been lost in memories lately
smells, songs, experiences.. all bring back a flood of memories
i love being lost in a daydream and a memory

i've been thinking about all 4 of my grandparents lately, and the legacy that they left for me
a legacy of a life well lived, of hard work, strong faith, endless generosity and grace. the ability to have fun in any situation, being able to laugh and cry, and the importance of family. 

this week my poppa (gerald thomas) has come to mind so often
i was a lot younger when i lost my thomas grandparents than when i lost my klassen ones, so i have different experiences and memories. i remember how my poppa used to talk so openly about how much he loved granny. i remember helping granny bake, and i remember her asking me to describe a picture on the tv to her once she became blind. i remember trying to pick the perfect descriptors so that she could really imagine it, and she told me that she could "see" it. i remember poppa taking me to olive garden, where we ate breadsticks to our hearts content and then laughed at the fact that we had to take our meals home because we were too stuffed to eat them! i remember having to crawl around in the van to put the special hook back onto the gas pedal when it fell off (poppa had a special adapted peddle since he lost his leg in the war and other injuries). i remember sitting on the porch swing in the backyard and having poppa sing to me. i remember how proud he was of my ability to sing, and my desire to use it in church. i remember the stacks of tapes that he had with "ashley singing" written on it. his prized possessions of my young voice warbling away into his microphone. 

but mostly this week i've been remembering the sound of his voice, sharing the gospel and bellowing out gospel hymns (and anyone who knew my poppa can likely picture the wonderful, loud, bellowing tone of his voice!) working at a church, i am the one that types out all the worship songs for the sunday service, and as i type some of the old hymns i hear him singing along with me. 

my poppa was not ashamed of his faith, or his relationship with Jesus. and he was never too shy or timid to sing those promises! a legacy of confidence in Jesus. I am SO thankful.

o perfect redemption,
the purchase of blood,
to every believer,
the promise of God!
the vilest offender,
who truly believes,
that moment from Jesus
a pardon receives.

praise the lord, praise the Lord,
let the earth hear his voice!
praise the Lord, praise the Lord,
LET THE PEOPLE REJOICE!
to God be the glory: fanny crosby & william doane


2 comments:

silver60 said...

How lovely your thoughts stray to such a wonderful legacy!..There are always different scents and occasions I remember my Great Grandmother, she was a sweet lady!..
Do you sing out loud when typing the hymns?..I'm sure your poppa is watching over you hoping you will join in!

Joy said...

Hey sweet daughter .... I could hear Poppa singing as I read your blog! He loved you so much!! And I do too!!
Love MOM