June 25, 2010

for the love of laundry

i love the smell of fresh laundry.
i love seeing a line of clean laundry hanging to dry on a line in a backyard.. that is really something I should put up in my yard.

I've been in a "get it done" mind set for the last few days, where if I think of something I'd like to do I just sit down & do it! examples:

Tuesday came home & it was HOT in the house. so.. i marched on down to the basement, found the air conditioner window unit and carried it upstairs. i hoisted it onto the counter (and accidentally put a BIG scratch on the counter... oops!) only to discover that the window space was too small. so, after a lot of monkeying around (and a few outfit changes later - it was hot, and i was not wearing the right thing for scrambling around on the counter) i figured out how to get the window popped out. in went the air conditioner, and off i went to find something else to fill the space. 1 plastic tub & many grocery bags later.. VOILA. air conditioning. my kitchen has never been happier.

yesterday - i decided i was tired of having such a messy office. so, one disc of the OC and 2 1/2 solid hours of organizing & purging.. VOILA. clean & organized office.

next on my list.. flowerbeds, the guestroom, my wardrobe and maybe eventually painting some rooms. and perhaps adding a laundry line to my list. could be fun.

funny.. i was originally going to write about what the smell of laundry reminds me of, guess this post had a mind of its own.

the smell reminds me of being in guatemala, where they all do laundry outside so the smell of laundry soap wafts through the air. it reminds me of sleeping over at my grandparents (klassen), and grandma would put fresh sheets on the hide-a-bed. it reminds me of being in my backyard as a kid, helping my mom. it reminds me of the summer breeze, refreshment and relaxation. mmm who knew laundry could be so delicious?

1 comment:

Chad said...

that reminds me of the bed sheet that i took to haiti instead of a sleeping bag. you see we had to wash our clothes by hand, well the first time i washed it i wasnt very good at it yet so i left some nasty stains, and it kinda smelt a bit after, but i used it some more it wasnt THAT bad, and by the next time i washed it i was so busy that i would literally wash 1 or 2 things in like 15 minute breaks and so it was sitting in dirty water for a few days and then we got sent off base for half a week and i didnt have time to get to it, so the water evaporated for the most part. and at that point i threw it in the garbage truck and called it a day