December 25, 2009

a thrill of hope, the weary world rejoices!

o holy night the stars are brightly shining
it is the night of our dear Savior's birth
long lay the world in sin and error pining
til He appeared and the soul felt it's worth
a thrill of hope the weary world rejoices
for yonder breaks a new and glorious morn

fall on your knees...
he knows our need...
behold your King...
before Him, lowly bend.

o night divine.

it is finally christmas! and a wonderful one at that. Michael and I were driving out to my parents house today and we were saying that one reason why we love Christmas so much, is we get to surround ourselves with people that we love, and spend intentional time just being together. Unhurried, and relaxed.

I love giving gifts at Christmas. I love picking out each gift and trying to make sure it's something they will really like and enjoy. This morning I was telling my mom that I'm so excited to give her gifts to her. Why? Because I am sure she will really like them, and know that they were chosen specifically for her. What a wonderful tradition, one that is a very small scale example of the meaning of Christmas, the true indescribable gift!

I am so thankful that God chose to lavish his love upon us by giving us Jesus. A tiny little innocent, helpless babe. I'm sure he was cute with curious eyes, and maybe even a dimple or two. Everett was born 1 week ago today... and let me tell you, I love this little guy. More than I thought I could! And to be honest, it is hard to share him (and I'm only his auntie!). i mean, I want everyone to be able to see how cute he is, and hear his little cry and squeaks! But I want to spend as much time with him as I can. How much more did God love Jesus! and then he chose to share him with us.. knowing what would happen. What an extravagant gift.

I love the way God choses to continually drench us in His love. He loves everyone, the young, the old, the weak, the oppressed, the strong(er), the joyful... everyone! No matter how fragile we are, no matter how little we feel we can give back to him. He lavishes his love on us.

One of my favorite moments of this Christmas season so far was last week when I went with our Candlelight Choir to Donwood Manor personal carehome. We were almost done our program and we began walking to the back of the room while the piano played a verse of Silent Night. We were going to sing a verse in German once we were all lined up. All of a sudden, the most beautiful, fragile and broken voice starts to sing. This woman was sitting alone, and didn't seem to care that everyone was staring at her... some of them disapprovingly trying to show her she shouldn't be singing. But it was beautiful. It made the tears well up, and my throat became tight. Singing about the innocence and beauty of that silent night... Jesus, Lord at thy birth.

Thank you God for this magnificent, indescribable gift.

Merry Christmas!

No comments: