December 14, 2009

haste, haste, to bring Him laud

What Child is this who, laid to rest
On Mary's lap is sleeping?
Whom Angels greet with anthems sweet,
While shepherds watch are keeping?

This, this is Christ the King,
Whom shepherds guard and Angels sing;
Haste, haste, to bring Him laud,
The Babe, the Son of Mary.

Why lies He in such mean estate,
Where ox and ass are feeding?
Good Christians, fear, for sinners here
The silent Word is pleading.

Nails, spear shall pierce Him through,
The cross be borne for me, for you.
Hail, hail the Word made flesh,
The Babe, the Son of Mary.

So bring Him incense, gold and myrrh,
Come peasant, king to own Him;
The King of kings salvation brings,
Let loving hearts enthrone Him.

Raise, raise a song on high,
The virgin sings her lullaby.
Joy, joy for Christ is born,
The Babe, the Son of Mary.


I think this is my favorite christmas carol. I love the lilt it has, the rocking motion in the harmonies. I love that it's in a minor key. I love the building feeling leading up to the "chorus" section of each verse, and that each verse ends with the exact same line. I love the simplicity of it, that works alongside the deep richness of the message.

when I sing this song, and hear the lilting harmonies and rhythm I picture Mary holding Jesus and rocking him back and forth. he is wrapped up so snug, and his breathing is regular and peaceful. Mary is overwhelmed with love for him, and is mesmirized by the softness of his skin and all of his tiny perfect features. the message of Christ is sung to the same lilt of mary's rocking & lullaby.. nails! spears shall pierce him through the cross be bourne for me, for you... to think of these awful things when thinking of a baby, of baby Jesus. to think that God sent Him as this tiny little sweetheart, all for us, all for sacrifice and love. for redemption.

on saturday night at caregroup we were talking about God's kindness. his infinite love, and his choice to love on us, who are dust.

14 For he knows how weak we are;
he remembers we are only dust.
15 Our days on earth are like grass;
like wildflowers, we bloom and die.
16 The wind blows, and we are gone—
as though we had never been here.
17 But the love of the Lord remains forever
with those who fear him. (psalm 103:14-17)

and i was thinking back to the last few months and when I think of Jesus, I think of redemption. i celebrate the birth of Jesus, the tiny little baby snuggled by Mary so many years ago, and I hear the truth ringing out that nails and spears pierced his skin, and spilled his blood, and I am in awe of his redemption. of his love for me, despite my unfaithfulness and the fact that i truly am dust. I thank him for his redeeming power over all situations, and the fact that he doesn't justify crappy situations like the world so often tries to, but he redeems them, and continues to love us.

this... THIS! (loving, redeeming, forgiving, merciful, ever present God) is Christ the King.. Joy, JOY! for Christ is born, the babe, the Son of Mary...


1 comment:

leah said...

beautiful post ash