March 27, 2012

birthdays, colds & rainy days.

spring is here - at least that's how I feel with this rainy day

we got home from our trip to Florida on Friday to a wonderful surprise - all of the snow is gone! It made coming home a little easier, but truthfully, I could've easily stayed for another week or two. Laying by the pool, reading novels, visiting with family, waking up to see Everett & Roger, enjoying 30 + weather. Can't complain :)

However, coming home from Florida was good to, mostly because there is no bed as comfortable as ours at home! We flew home on Friday - my birthday! Nothing like being up and about at 3am on your birthday! The airplane gave me a gift.. a nasty cold. One of the worst I have had in years. I think it was a combination of being up early and needing more sleep, then having the air conditioning and air blowing on me on the plane.. etc. etc. For whatever reason, it was given to me as a gift and it is terrible.

Last night as I was trying to fall asleep I was terrified that I would be unable to breathe at night. My nose was so stuffed up, that if I went to swallow, it was like it closed my soft palate or something, and I kind of choked for a breath. Has that ever happened to anyone?? So I wandered around the house, collecting pillows so I could be nicely propped up. However, after 2 hours of trying to sleep at that angle, I gave up and used some more nasal spray, jammed some kleenex up my nose and hoped that sleep would come. It did.. eventually, but being back at work today has not been pleasant. I could've used a few more hours. And you always know you're looking great when the first thing someone says to you is "oh. are you sick??"

Oh well. In about 20 minutes I'm going to Pineridge Hollow with my dear friend Audrey to celebrate our birthdays. It will be cozy in there as we watch the rain and catch up. My cold won't ruin that!

I'm 27 now. That is very close to 30! It sounds old to me, but also not really at all. I think it only feels old when I think about the fact that Michael is 23. To be honest, I don't really feel a year older. Each year, birthdays seem to be less and less of an "event", in the way it was when I was younger. I also noticed last year when it was my first birthday off of facebook, that when people don't recognize your birthday it feels less like an "event". All of the friends that would've sent me a one line happy birthday message on facebook didn't send me anything because no one (except me I think) uses a calendar. Another sad reality of social networking. I was thinking about it though, as maturely as I could, that the emails and phone calls and texts that I did get on my birthday were from people who genuinely thought of me! And that is actually more special to me than the 100 one line messages I used to get on Facebook because it appeared on people's screens as a reminder that it was my day. I also realized that there are people who's birthdays I don't remember or recognize since I left facebook because we just don't communicate on a regular basis, so it's not that I actually expected (or even hoped) that I would get all of those messages. Is this making sense?? All that to say, I got only a handful of birthday messages and greetings, but each one was personal and meaningful, and I am very thankful for each one.

We celebrated on my actual birthday with our cousins Chris, Emilee & Chloe while watching the jets game and eating pizza & treatzza pizza from DQ. Then Sunday evening was spent with the Thiessen's. Next Friday is my supper/party with my family. I would say my favorite gift around birthdays is just being with family and friends. Anything else is just a bonus. (And I have received some of the best gifts ever thus far...)

Now I am rambling. I blame it on my cold!

In summary: I am a year older - 27 - 3 years away from 30 and happy to be it. I am loving this rainy weather, and would love to be snuggled up reading a book. I am very thankful for family & friends. And I am very much looking forward to my afternoon with Audrey :)

2 comments:

Audacious said...

This afternoon was just what the doctor ordered. At least for me, but I'm not sick. Feel better friend.

Bulli Sot Nature Photography said...

lovey our blog ! ;) s7 is still young !!! dig the starbuck cover-photo also nice I'm follower