April 5, 2012

coming to the end of a chapter

Yesterday afternoon I officially had my LAST UNIVERSITY CLASS EVER!

I can hardly believe it.
I was even kind of sad about it as I drove away.
There is something wonderful about sitting in a classroom, learning and taking notes.
I won't miss assignments, and textbook readings.. midterms & exams though.
Nor will I miss the cost of tuition..

I can hardly believe that finally, 4 years after graduating "short" and feeling the discouragement of spending 4 years of full time school in something that now just overwhelmed me... 4 years later, I feel like I have redeemed that lost degree, and all the work that went into it, and on April 22nd I will have a diploma with my name on it!

I am going to walk across that graduating stage proudly, even if no one chose to come (although I know that I will have people there!). I did this for ME. And I'm proud of that.

People have been asking me lately what I will do now that I'm done my degree.. will I put it to use?
Well, not technically I suppose. Although I feel like a lot of what I learned in university can just be applied in life in general. But no, I will not be looking for a new job. I love my job! Running the ins & out of the church office that I work at is very fun for me. I love all the organization, and the fact that I get to order things from Staples on a regular basis (I am one of those people that loves school supply shopping.. even if I'm not going to school.. I always have to refrain from buying another pack of markers or pens, or even looseleaf! In a world that uses so much technology there is something so wonderfully simple about writing with pencil - non mechanical even - on looseleaf. Try it, it's simple bliss). I enjoy the staff that I work with, and I love the hours!

Plus, my DREAM is to one day have 2 jobs - one as a mom, and the other, working with my Mom at Women Refreshed at the Well. Plus by then I'll be living beside josh & leah. Could life get any better than that?!

So the simple answer is .. no. I won't be doing anything specific with my degree now that it's done. However, I will be celebrating the fact that I decided to just get over myself and go back to finish it.

One exam left (next Friday) and then I will be DONE.

how wonderful :)

5 comments:

Joy said...

And sweet daughter of mine - I am proud of you regardless of whether you have a complete degree or not, but the fact that you pursued and finished well - makes me "over the top" prouder.

And hey .... you will only be 3 kms from ME and dad!!! I can hardly wait - for everything. Every. Single. Thing.
I love you.

Congratulations on your achievement and we will be there !!!!

Kara said...

Congratulations Ashley. All the best as you close this chapter of your life!

ayarnlover said...

Congratulations on graduating! Enjoy all that comes next for you in life! :)

Deanne said...

So I didn't know how to congratulate you on the wonderful news so I thought I'd write on here! I am so happy for you and your family on the news of your growing little baby. How wonderful. We are expecting a surprise fourth in October.
Anyways just wanted to send my congratulations. Also are you coming I the thrift store shopping trip. I sure hope so.

ashleymarie said...

Deanne!! That is amazing!!! Congratulations!

Hooray for all the babies :)