December 11, 2008

realizations

so its been a while since i've blogged, but i have definitely been thinking a lot this week

there have been a few times that i have started to write, but realized that some of my thoughts were too raw, and didn't want to be too mysterious, making people wonder if it's them i'm talking about. did some processing myself.

i've realized a few things, one, being that i'm in the process of mourning a friendship that will never be the same again. it's hard knowing that you have reached the point where you were the closest, and that that will probably never happen again. it's hard to just fall off each others radars and not feel like a big chunk of you is missing. i don't know how to explain it, but it's been weighing on my heart the last few weeks.

a second thing i've realized is that i desperately want people to ask me how i am. i realized this when i was with my sister in law phoebe (who i am so thankful for) and she asked me to tell her how i am. she said that we always talk about how my family is, and other things, but that she wanted to know about me. it feels selfish to want people to ask just about yourself, but i think that if you don't have people asking about you and the state of your heart then it is easy to let that get pushed to the back burner and allows you to not take care of your heart or address it in the state that it is in.

i've realized (not just recently, but i've always known) that i am a talker, it doesn't take a lot for me to talk, which i guess ties into the previous point. sometimes i walk away from conversations being like "wow, i just dumped that on that person, and they don't even want to know about it", but if they had asked it would've felt like more of a conversation...

and fourthly i realized this... i counted the other day how many friends i feel really know how i am, and who i am. counted how many people i could be myself with. how many friends i have a caring relationship with, on both sides. and then i realized that it would be very easy to dwell on the fact that that number used to be bigger, but that i want to CHOOSE to dwell on how fortunate i am to have even the people that i do have.

i feel like since july when Jay died, some people just don't know how to relate, or what to talk about with me, or how to bring up the topic. and that can be really hurtful.

i need to choose to be thankful for those that are there, because dwelling on anything else doesn't help at all. so dear friends, know that i am thankful for you, probably more than you know.

4 comments:

Joy K. said...

I love your honesty Ash. You express some of my sentiments again. Somehow the weeks for me have been getting harder, and it does feel selfish. This week I have also felt so alone. Funny how that happens, alone yet surrounded. I have come to hate grief. While I keep being told that one day it will all make sense, all i know is that right now, it is ugly and dark and hurts. It has changed all of our lives. I think we need to talk more about how each other feels.... instead of thinking that perhaps we know. I also agree - the circle is small.
I love you. Somehow I pray that one day it won't be so painful. TIll then, we keep holding one another, and the rest of our little family up. love you.
mom

Anonymous said...

Oh Ashley,
I have mixed feelings. I know exactly how you feel when people fail to have interest in a part of your life which is painful and difficult..but I also know that I haven't been asking you and for that I'm sorry. Sometimes I feel I can get selfish and think I have the hardest job to go through life normally and deal with a mom whos illness seems like its not getting better, only worse. I need to remember there are others going through situations that I need to be attentive to. I'm sorry that I've let you down in that way. I pray for you often and I should tell you that I'm here for you more often. If there is no bright light at the end of the tunnel, we'll shuffle through the dim together.
I love you very much,
Lauren

Janessa said...

hey lady.
i'm excited to now be able to start reading your blog.

this is the site i used to find a layout. it has a little banner for itself in the layout, but as you can see there isn't one on mine. you can take it out in the html if you look through it hard enough.

http://www.pyzam.com/

Leah said...

Love you Ash.