May 3, 2012

a favorite hobby

I will never forget the first conversation I had with a girl I became friends with on the School of Discipleship program. We were doing one of those get to know you things, and when her and I first started talking we asked the regular questions, name, where you're from etc. and then she asked me what my favorite hobby was. Hmm.. I have a few, singing, music of any kind, photography, reading, being with friends etc. I asked her and she said "well, I have one main hobby. My favorite thing to do in the world is.. exercise."

get out! That does not even rank in my top 50 favorite "hobbies". Nor would I ever classify it as a hobby. Things I do enjoy that could fall into the exercising category (although I don't love doing them till I'm extremely sweaty, which to me is the mark of an awesome work out):

- going for a walk with my hubby, my sisters, my family, or a good friend
- going for a bike ride, especially at the lake
- swimming (although I am a terrible swimmer)
- walking on the treadmill only if I'm watching TV or a movie or something, that way I don't feel too bad about watching tv for so long

I should also admit that I like wearing my exercising clothes or runners around the house because it makes me feel "sportier" than I actually am. for me, the best part about exercising, is looking the part and feeling awesome that I actually made myself go thru with it after.  But that friend of mine.. she genuinely loves exercising. And not to be skinny, or to change how she looks, which I would say is the motivation for a lot of people. But she loves exercising because she just physically enjoys exerting herself like that. She's kinda like a toddler (bear with me, this isn't an insult!) who loves to just run around.. FOR FUN.

I was thinking about her yesterday when I was drinking some water after I had finally convinced myself to do the prenatal pilates video of Leah's that I'm trying out. I did a few of the segments (the video is broken up into a few 10 minute workouts) and had ended working on my buns and thighs (the phrase buns & thighs for some reason makes me have the mental image of richard simmons on the "sweatin to the oldies" vhs that my mom had years ago..). It always feels good to have accomplished something. To feel your muscles ache after working them out, especially muscles you didn't know you had. I stood there thinking how nice it would be to actually consider exercising among my favorite hobbies.

Oh well, at least if it's not my hobby, I get the extra satisfaction of pushing myself to do it, and accomplishing that goal. And who knows, maybe you all won't be able to recognize me in a few months because you'll be thinking "who's that pregnant lady with those amazing buns!"

ya, that'll be me. so for now I'm just giving you a heads up :)

No comments: