February 25, 2011

jobs & doorways


for whatever reason today, this picture that i found on google made me think about all the different jobs i have had in my 25 (almost 26) years. (maybe because a job is like choosing which door to go through? maybe. or maybe it was a cool picture & i was desperately trying to find a way to use it...!)
it is quite the list!

there really isn't any "point" in posting about this, other than the fact that i think it's interesting that i have already worn so many different hats in my life. some people find a job, and stick to it for majority of their adult life, and i think there is something wonderful about that. but i also love that i have had so much variety! that being said, i'm happy sticking to what i'm doing now, at least for a while!!

here is my list - i will try to go in chronological order
  • assistant on field trips (with my mom's daycare - i would go to help out with kids that needed more one-on-one care)
  • babysitting
  • tele-researcher (the ones that do surveys, not the ones that try to sell you stuff)
  • shampoo tester at a research facility
  • waitress at a chinese food restaurant (where i memorized a large majority of the dishes, by their number - i still know that #1 is spring rolls, #29 is chopsuey, #39 is chicken balls & #46 is gingerbeef)
  • cashier at Birds Hill Park east beach concession stand - which also included making icecream cones, and to this day I can still do a perfect soft serve cone
  • nanny
  • worked with my dad doing odd jobs & renovations. we re-shingled a house & also drywalled a cabin, amongst other things. my mouth was wired shut that summer due to my jaw surgery, so it was pretty hard to find another job!!
  • sales associate at the Gap
  • sales associate at Sugar Mountain - this was by far one of my favorite jobs. it was a fun environment, close to my house, a place where i could help decorate & make "crafts" .. it was terribly wonderful
  • creator, fundraiser-extraordinaire & leader of a Junior High summer day camp for an entire summer
  • window washer
  • "lawn care technician" ha!  a fancy way to say, I mowed lawns. but i was VERY good, and consistent with my lines. on my last day, my boss even took a picture of one of my lawns because it was so good ;)
  • library assistant at Booth College Library - also a very fun job
  • Data Entry for a company changing their website
  • Maid/house keeper with Molly Maid
  • sales associate at Hallmark
  • Personal house cleaner
  • Photographer for pregnancy or kids pictures
  • Customer Service Representative at Kindred Productions (a christian book publisher & retailer)
  • Therapeutic Recreation Facilitator at Donwood Manor personal care home
  • Secretary at a baptist church
I think that is it?? now if that isn't a diverse resume, then I don't know what is!!

2 comments:

Leah said...

This is one impressive list! I was imagining you telling your grandkids all your jobs and them saying, "No way Grandma! A window washer? Really?"

Becky said...

impressive was the word that came to my mind too!

I think we should have a "cone off" - my years at mcdonald's have given me mad skillz in the cone making arena... some day! ;)