January 19, 2010

strew some scripture all over the place

strew–verb (used with object), strewed, strewn

1. to let fall in separate pieces or particles over a surface; scatter or sprinkle: to strew seed in a garden bed.
2. to cover or overspread (a surface, place, etc.) with something scattered or sprinkled: to strew a floor with sawdust.
3. to be scattered or sprinkled over (a surface): Sawdust strewed the floor.

last night was the first monday night women's bible study at mcivor (for this current study. not the first one EVER at mcivor). they have had studies before, but I've never really felt like it was for me or like it was something high on my priority list.

this time i didn't really think much of it when i heard it was happening, but just one day realized that i had decided i would go! i asked phoebe if she would join me, and so last night.. there we were, side by side, getting ready to dive in.

i like beth moore, i like that she is funny and entertaining. but more than that.. i appreciate that she knows her stuff. she is continually cross referencing scripture, and backing up what she is saying. without being over my head.

the thing i really appreciated the most was her focus on God's pursuit of us. that God calls out to us "where are you?", not because he doesn't know where we are. but because he wants us to tell him where we are at, so that he can meet us there. he is continually pursuing us, no matter where we are. i appreciated this especially because i felt like maybe i shouldn't be there, because i haven't been very faithful in my relationship with Jesus especially lately. I struggled so much with faith after our family lost Jay, and my faith walk, disciplines etc never really recovered to their previous state. My faith in Jesus remains the same.. but my relationship with him at times feels labored. I joked with Phoebe last night that part of me felt like I should've prayed for a solid week straight, in order to be ready enough to do this study.
how refreshing that God doesn't work that way. he calls out to me and says "where are you?" even though he knows.. he wants me to tell him, and pursue him.. because he has not stopped pursuing me.

beth moore also shared a story about a woman that she had worked with that was driving home to see her family. a car drove into her lane and hit her.. killing her instantly. a friend of beth's called her to tell her about the accident scene. she said that this woman had had a stack of cards with scriptures on them in her car. when the accident happened these scriptures were strewn all over the road. when the police were cleaning up the accident site they had to go around and pick up those scriptures one by one.

what a privilege we have to be able to do that in our lives.. to strew scripture and Christ's love all over, all over the streets.. all over everyone we know, or don't know.

i feel like i started this study because God is and continues to pursue me, and it's time to start pursuing back again.

2 comments:

chad said...

strew it up

Anonymous said...

can't wait to strew some more with you my lovely sister!
~phoebe