October 27, 2011

winter memories

so i realize it may be too soon for some of you to see a photo of snow.. i mean, it's only october!
but i have winter memories on the brain today. 
when i woke up and looked out the window i couldn't get over how beautiful it was outside
there was a layer of frost over everything, and there was a heavy, thick fog. not the easiest for driving, but hey, it was beautiful. and my drive to work is only 5 minutes so i could afford to go extra slow. 
i love the crispness in the air, and the way the ground was crunching under my shoes
i love that i get to wear a nice warm sweater today and drink a hot mug of tea.
and this afternoon i'm going to go to michaels for a little shopping trip.. to get stuff to make christmas cards. winter is just around the corner.
when i was walking to get my tea i had to pass through a bunch of cars idling in the drive thru, the smell of the exhaust and the near by gas station in the air made my mind fill with memories of winter, specifically the smell of the exhaust from snowmobiling with my dad. being snuggled up in my warm winter coat, snow pants, scarves, mittens.. waiting for my dad to pull up with the sled. building forts with my brother and digging tunnels in the ditches. seeing the frost build up on my dad's mustache. coming inside for a warm drink with my mom. and.. getting stuck in the middle of a stack of haybales...  winter is full of good memories and adventures. 
i'm not looking forward to the endless cold, come january... but the crisp air only brought back the good memories for now :)

2 comments:

Audacious said...

Mmmm, I also love the smell of two-stroke.

Joy said...

WIll never forget the day you got stuck in between the bales! We had alot of great memories in Anola that we carry with us!