September 29, 2009

the air is still
her steps are labored
but she moves ahead

the ground is gray
crunching under her feet
the fog is thick

moving forward
reaching out
longing for a drink

walking for days
weeks
months

moving ahead
stumbling
stopping
moving back
not moving
moving again

forward.

eyes closed
coolness beneath her fingertips
stability
a friend
a glass
filled to overflowing

a drink
of love, sweeter than honey
a friend
her name on His lips
love, sweeter than honey

a drink
of peace, like rain on dry land
a friend
her name on His lips
peace, like rain on dry land

a drink
of hope, like a breath of fresh air
a friend
her name on His lips
hope, like a breath of fresh air

a friend, her friend
meeting her
loving her
refreshing her

at the well

1 comment:

Joy K. said...

Hi Sweetheart - I just want you to know that as I read this - with each line, I kept feeling like you were writing about me!! This is so "my heart" and I figure the hearts of many, many women and men.
Today I am just reading some of my books - and just posted on fb that my status is "desiring God".
I realize only HE is the living water - the stream in a dry land - the water that refreshes like nothing else. And I am just resting in his love today - his embrace - and I know he loves me.
Thanks for writing this poem - for me, for you, for women and men who are desiring God first and finding refreshment. I love you sweetheart.
love mom