November 11, 2011

remember

When I was in the Winnipeg Mennonite Children's Choir, Mrs. Litz taught us the song "In Flanders Fields" every year, in time for November 11th. I can still sing most of the parts now from memory. The song was haunting. And I think it was bold of Mrs. Litz to teach her sweet little mennonite boys & girls to sing it. War is very real. Both of my grandpas fought in war. One lost his leg, the other one was spared his life (a very cool story.. thankfully Grandpa Klassen wrote out his life story for us to read)
Both Grandpas would tell you (if they were still here) that War should never happen again. Both of my grandpas were for peace.


there are often shows on TV about army wives missing their husbands and then they are surprised by them showing up, home from their tour. it always makes me cry. I do not think war is right, or necessary, but I do think it is incredible that people choose to put their lives on the line for what they think is right. 


I'm wearing my poppy, thinking of my grandpa's and praying for peace. When I was in elementary school I was asked to sing a solo of a song called "let peace begin with me" and it has stuck with me ever since. it is playing in my head again this morning..


"let peace begin with me, let this be the moment now.. with every breath I take, let this be my solemn vow: to take each moment, and live each moment in peace eternally. let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me"


IN FLANDERS FIELDS POEM
The World’s Most Famous WAR MEMORIAL POEM

By Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae



In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place: and in the sky
The larks still bravely singing fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead: 
Short days ago,
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved: 
and now we lie
In Flanders fields!

Take up our quarrel with the foe
To you, from failing hands, we throw
The torch: be yours to hold it high
If ye break faith with us who die,
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields

Composed at the battlefront on May 3, 1915
during the second battle of Ypres, Belgium

No comments: